We've spent six years editing literary magazines.
Now we show writers what it takes to get published in one.
The Road Map
An evaluation of your story + your writing habits
- Questionnaire to uncover your goals, motives, and development.
- 2-3 page brief with feedback on your writing style and a game plan for strengthening the focus, characters, development, and voice of your short story.
- Comments in the margin of your story to provide specific examples of characters, language, or narrative that can be strengthened.
Three rounds of edits + assigned readings
- All Road Map features
- A second round of feedback to measure additional improvements.
- Line edit to trim, tighten, clarify, and establish rhythm.
- 2 video conferences
- Assigned readings that are exemplary of your writing style.
- A written guide to finding and fixing your most common mistakes, custom for each writer.
- Answer all your writing-related questions, including advice on where to submit your short story.
WRITERS WE'VE WORKED WITH
Joyce Carol Oates
David James Poissant
Amy Grace Loyd
WHY WRITERS LOVE WORKING WITH US
"Laura told me what four other editors didn’t."
"I am amazed at her attention to detail and meticulous editing of sentences to convey ideas in the best possible way, without changing my author voice."
"Went above and beyond to help me improve my short story. Her notes were encouraging, clear, and thoughtful. "
Perfect for writers who are tired of rejection letters
are ready to launch their writing career
"What people love about our approach is that it really allows for them to become better writers. Because the narrative is so contained, it is much easier to use short stories as a tool to teach writers how to build realistic characters, improve descriptive language, and pull out repetitious narrative mistakes."
—Laura Mae Isaacman | Founder, Clyde Editing
Ready to launch your writing career?
That's right, launch it! A good short story can get you noticed by an agent, which can get you a publisher, which gets you a book deal. We've seen it happen more than once.
On the Fence?
Still unsure which level of editing makes the most sense for you? Schedule a quick call with us so we can learn more about you.